HOMEMADE RAMEN NOODLES
Serves 4. For big eaters like my family, this recipe easily doubles, triples, quadruples, etc…
2 cups all purpose flour (300 grams)
2 tbsp vital wheat gluten (15 grams)
1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp Koon Chun Potassium Carbonate & Sodium Bi-Carbonate (kansui)
1. Stir the flour and wheat gluten together in a large mixer bowl.
2. Mix the warm water and kansui, then add the liquid to the flour. You should immediately see the flour turn a shade of yellow.
3. Fit your mixer with the dough hook and knead until it starts to form a ball, about 5 minutes. The dough will be fairly tough and dry.
4. Cut the dough into quarters. Wrap the pieces you aren’t working with in a towel or plastic wrap to prevent from drying out.
5. Set your pasta roller to the largest setting. Flatten the dough with your fingers and run it through the pasta roller. Fold it in half and run it through the pasta roller a number of times. The first few times your dough will be ragged. After more runs through, it will smooth out into a silky like texture.
6. Using your pasta machine, roll out the dough to your desired thickness. On the KitchenAid pasta roller, I roll to a thickness of 3.
7. Switch out your roller for the spaghetti cutter. Run the sheets of dough through the cutter.
8. Dust noodles generously with flour and gently twirl into serving sized bundles.
9. At this point your can either freeze the noodle bundles, or start a large pot of water boiling. Boil noodles for 2-3 minutes until they float to the top.
10. Top with soup, add any other toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
You may also like:
Pages: 1 2